Hello from Texas!

Diskutiere Hello from Texas! im Neu hier? Forum im Bereich Community; Howdy, I got an R1200GS and really dig it. I may have to struggle with the German language but if I see it enough, I'll pick it up. Hope to...
P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
Howdy,

I got an R1200GS and really dig it. I may have to struggle with the German language but if I see it enough, I'll pick it up.

Hope to have fun here. 8)

U

Uwe L.

Hi Pinecone,

welcome here and greetings to Texas. It's getting quite international here and that's good.
Hope you get the informations you need.
Have fun with your bike.

Regards,

Uwe

Ron

Ron

Modell
R 1200 GS
Hi!

I'm sure that you will have fun here.
Cordially welcome to the forum!

It seems to me, that it will fit: a cow rider in Texas. :twisted:
(a BMW motorcycle is always called a "cow" in german).

One point is still interesting to me: how did you find us?

Regards Ron

Mister Wu

Mister Wu

Modell
1150 GS & 1300 GS
Hi Pinecone,

cordially welcome on board.
I hope you overcome the hurricane in a good condition.
The language problem shouldn't be a big one, some member are living near by you resp are able to translate.

But there is a big issue --> What's the colour of the GS ?
In the R12 corner that is really important to know ;-)

Ad the end one wish, could you give us a real name, " Hallo Kienapfel" sounds a little strong

MP

MP

Modell
R 1100 GS
Hallo

Howdy Pinecone,

welcome in our little GS-Forum and greeting to Texas.

Long time time ago (1977-1979) I had the pleasure to live in El Paso, Texas. I had a great time there. :D

SoCal_Hans

SoCal_Hans

Modell
R1200GS
Howdy Pinecone (Tannenzapfen)

Welcome on board.
It seems you are the first real cowboy in the midst of all the Krauts.

If you see somewhere in here a “Q” … that’s the German Nickname for a BMW Motorcycle. It came from a Motorcycle Tester on the old Airheads. He called them a “Rubber cow” (Gummi Kuh).

Have fun with your "Q" and lots of SMiles.

Keep the shiny side up!

Hans

P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
Mister Wu schrieb:
Hi Pinecone,

cordially welcome on board.
I hope you overcome the hurricane in a good condition.
The language problem shouldn't be a big one, some member are living near by you resp are able to translate.

But there is a big issue --> What's the colour of the GS ?
In the R12 corner that is really important to know ;-)

Ad the end one wish, could you give us a real name, " Hallo Kienapfel" sounds a little strong
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Hurricane Rita did very little damage to where I live. It barely even rained! The big damage came from the chaos of folks evacuting Houston and Galveston. We rode the storm out.

My R12GS's colour is Ozeanblau. That's Ocean Blue for you folks in Beaumont. :lol:

My real name is Jeff.

I never really thought of my bike, or any BMW for that matter, as a cow. But if it gives that impression, OK.

SoCal_Hans

SoCal_Hans

Modell
R1200GS
Hi Jeff

Pinecone schrieb:
I never really thought of my bike, or any BMW for that matter, as a cow. But if it gives that impression, OK.
As you probably know the Harley Guys call there Bikes "Hogs".
But a Harley Davidson dose not have anyting to do with a pig.

I'd rather ride a cow then a pig :lol: thats the reason I named my GS "Longhorn".

Sincerly: Hans

Anhänge

Mister Wu

Mister Wu

Modell
1150 GS & 1300 GS
Pinecone schrieb:
Jeff, for Non-German-Speakers it isn't easy to follow, I know.
You will often read, as already mentioned by Hans, Q for the BMW.
In german "Q" sounds equal as "Kuh" (Cow).

The whole story you will find here (as a german lesson) ;-) -> http://forum.gs-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=1206

P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
Mister Wu schrieb:
Pinecone schrieb:

The whole story you will find here (as a german lesson) ;-) -> http://forum.gs-forum.de/viewtopic.php?t=1206
Danke Herr Wu. :)

P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
Mister Wu schrieb:
Pinecone schrieb:

Something I did notice about German is there are no commas (,) in your sentences. Instead, there are capitalized words to seperate ideas. Am I correct about this?

Berlitz help me!

Ron

Ron

Modell
R 1200 GS
Not at all! The rules of orthography are sometimes
"out of order" in the internet. The usage of commas
is very complicated regulated in german, so nobody
regards it here.

The usage of capital letters is really characteristic for
the german language. All what seems to us to be a
"main word" gets an upper case letter at first (all
proper names, things, etc.).

Recently there are efforts to make these rules "easier".
One orthography reform hunts the other. Our kids
at school are really confused. And the older people,
who can't follow all these reforms (like me) feels
like coming from an other century (as it is). ;-)

Regards Ron

Mister Wu

Mister Wu

Modell
1150 GS & 1300 GS
Ron schrieb:
And the older people,
who can't follow all these reforms (like me) feels
like coming from an other century (as it is). ;-)
Yep Ron, we are really old men ! :wink: :D

@Jeff,
I write like I learned in the school ( including my same old mistakes :oops: )

SoCal_Hans

SoCal_Hans

Modell
R1200GS
Hi Jeff,
If you were really interested in the German language, it would be the best for you to buy yourself a German language software for a few bucks at Comp USA or Best Buy.

German is not an easy language to learn because of the different rules.
Like Ron already said, with the new regulations in the resent years, I’m an old fart too.

One example: “Kohlenstofffaser” (carbon fiber)
Have you ever seen a word with 3 of the same letters in it? The first time I’ve seen it I thought it was a misprint.

F

Franky

Modell
HPN 851
Hi Jeff,
herzlich willkommen im Forum.
Am schnellsten lernst Du deutsch, wenn Du Dich mit der Sprache auseinandersetzt.

Viele Grüße
Franky

P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
SoCal_Hans schrieb:
Hi Jeff,
If you were really interested in the German language, it would be the best for you to buy yourself a German language software for a few bucks at Comp USA or Best Buy.

German is not an easy language to learn because of the different rules.
Like Ron already said, with the new regulations in the resent years, I’m an old fart too.

One example: “Kohlenstofffaser” (carbon fiber)
Have you ever seen a word with 3 of the same letters in it? The first time I’ve seen it I thought it was a misprint.

I do like the way it runs a whole buch of words together to describe something. Like "heizgriffe" (heated grips) and "kreuzspeichenraeder" (cross spoked wheels).

This is gonna be fun learning y'alls language.

FWIW, if you wish to see me in action and where I work, click on

www.bmwmch.com

Go to the photo section and select service department. I'm the geeky looking one. :P

einstein

einstein

Modell
R 1150 GS
Hi Jeff,

Also from the other side of the planet: "Welcome"! :)

Well, German language is not easy indeed. There are not only words with 3 of the same letters in it but also parts of sentences with 3 of the same word one after the other. :shock: Example: Das waren die, die die Mopeds gestohlen haben.

But don't worry, learning Chinese is even more difficult - because you cannot read anything. Every character has a meaning. Put two characters together and you get a different meaning and if you switch the characters you get a 3rd meaning. :roll:

Cheers!

AMGaida

AMGaida

Modell
BMW R 1250 GS HP
Hi Jeff,

a warm welcome also from me. Interesting link that is... which one of the geeks are you? :lol:

P

Pinecone

Themenstarter
AMGaida schrieb:
Hi Jeff,

a warm welcome also from me. Interesting link that is... which one of the geeks are you? :lol:
In the group photo, I'm the guy with the "thumbs up". I am also the guy in the sidecar. My co-worker, Austin, recently broke his leg and his ankle on a test ride. We both came around a U-turn. I was on a K1200LT and he was on a R1200CL. He hit a greasy spot in the road and lost the front end of the bike. Both are big, heavy touring rigs. I was being extra careful because I was hungover :oops:. We did the U turn and he wasn't behind me anymore. I waited because the bike he was riding came in with running problems. When I turned around, the EMS was already there to take him to the hospital.

Luckily, he was smart enough to take his cell phone and call for help and call me as well. He has German ancestors so it was no surprise to me that he was well prepared (I'm Irish so go figure :twisted: ). Anyway, he is going back to New York to recover.

Thanks for reading my story. :D

Thema:

Hello from Texas!

Hello from Texas! - Ähnliche Themen

• Hello World - Alex aus der Schweiz

Hello World - Alex aus der Schweiz: Hallo zusammen, ich bin (die) Alex und wohne in der Schweiz. Ich habe eine 2011er BMW F650 GS die demnächst verkauft wird, da ich morgen eine...
  • Hello aus Oberfranken ..

Hello aus Oberfranken ..: Servus zusammen, bin der Olli und komme aus der Nähe von Coburg. Hab mir vor 2 Wochen ne Trophy geholt und bin sauglücklich damit :biggrin...
  • Hello all

Hello all: I'm taking delivery of my first GS next week, a 2019 R1250GS, low mileage and in cosmic blue. I'll have loads of questions, but in the meantime...
  • hello from italy

hello from italy: Hi everyone, I am writing to you from Italy, today I went to see to buy a used 1999 bmw r1100gs with 70,000 km with two owners, apart from the use...
  • Hello

Hello: Hello and Nice to meet you . While I'm from Milano, I recently moved back to Europe from the United States. After 4 years in the US i'm very...
  • Hello - Ähnliche Themen

• Hello World - Alex aus der Schweiz

Hello World - Alex aus der Schweiz: Hallo zusammen, ich bin (die) Alex und wohne in der Schweiz. Ich habe eine 2011er BMW F650 GS die demnächst verkauft wird, da ich morgen eine...
  • Hello aus Oberfranken ..

Hello aus Oberfranken ..: Servus zusammen, bin der Olli und komme aus der Nähe von Coburg. Hab mir vor 2 Wochen ne Trophy geholt und bin sauglücklich damit :biggrin...
  • Hello all

Hello all: I'm taking delivery of my first GS next week, a 2019 R1250GS, low mileage and in cosmic blue. I'll have loads of questions, but in the meantime...
  • hello from italy

hello from italy: Hi everyone, I am writing to you from Italy, today I went to see to buy a used 1999 bmw r1100gs with 70,000 km with two owners, apart from the use...
  • Hello

Hello: Hello and Nice to meet you . While I'm from Milano, I recently moved back to Europe from the United States. After 4 years in the US i'm very...
  • Oben